25 February 2010

The Beak and money

In fifth grade, in order to make some extra cash without asking my parents for an advance on my allowance, my friend Jeremy and I decided to put our artistic abilities to use.

For the next couple of weeks we drew people's names on pieces of cardstock and made them look pretty with crayons, colored pencils, and markers. I was really good at making the person's name look like a tiny ribbon had been twisted cursive-style. The girls really liked that one.

We made maybe $3 or so, charging either a nickel or a dime for each page, depending on the intricacy of the design.

The next year we began a middle school newspaper called The Beak. I was the editor. It was one page, on both sides, and we had a student of the week, a main article, a review of the chapel (Christian school), and a comic strip. I think we managed about five issues before it kind of petered out.

No comments: